After July 3rd LearnCoach will again cost $104 for an annual subscription.
Yes, you will still be able to access 20-30% of content on the site for free.
But the bulk of the juicy stuff that will help you get your dream NCEA grades will be behind a paywall, like it was before Covid.
Which stinks if you’re a student who isn’t on Steven Adams money.
If you were anything like me when I was a student, you didn’t just have $104 lying around.
If I was an NCEA student in 2020, this is how I would go about scraping together $104:
1. Ask your parents. Believe it or not, when you ask your parents for money and it’s related to you getting better grades at school and making them proud, they’re waaaay more likely to give it to you! If only ice cream was related to getting better grades.
2. Borrow from your parents. Say you’ll pay them back after you graduate. And mean it. You could even negotiate a condition which says if you get above a certain grade, you get a discount or better yet, don’t have to pay them back.
3. Save up $104. You can do this really fast, whether you have a part time job or not.
If you have a part-time job: every time you get paid, transfer a percentage of your pay check into a savings account, which you’ve nicknamed ‘LearnCoach Premium’. There’s power in giving an account a nickname. It reminds you of what you’re saving for. Example: If you get paid $120 from your one weekend shift at Maccas and you decide to transfer 20% of every pay check into your ‘LearnCoach Premium’ savings account, you would transfer $24. At that rate, it would take you 5 weeks to save up the $104 you need.
If you do not have a part time job: Ask your parents, neighbours or relatives for odd jobs that they’re happy to pay you for. Do those jobs. Deposit a percentage of what they pay you into a savings account, which you’ve nicknamed ‘LearnCoach Premium’. Spend the rest on ice cream.
4. Lobby your teacher. If you’ve tried LearnCoach while it’s been free and you’ve found it genuinely helpful, say (or email) this to your teacher, “Some of my friends and I have found LearnCoach helpful and I heard there was a schools version. Is this something you could look into?”
5. Enter the NCEA Comedy Writing Competition. Every week the funniest joke about NCEA will win the choice between $50 or a free annual subscription to LearnCoach Premium. What’s more, every week, $140 worth of prizes for the best jokes are given away, so it’s also a great way to save up if you enjoy writing. Enter here.
If none of these options are available to you or you circumstances warrant special consideration, write to me at email@example.com and I will do my best to help find a solution :)